Tuesday 6 March 2012

Teach by Example


For a very long time, I waged war against myself. I called myself names, usually names full of hate such as fat, ugly or obese. I believed that the only person I was hurting was myself. What I failed to notice was the lesson I was teaching to my children. I was showing them how to damage their own self esteem. We struggle to protect our children from the world around them, to keep them safe, to guide them, to love them, to help them grow.  We don't want to hurt them, but when we show them how we don't value ourselves, they can begin to question their own self worth. And if you think it only impacts girls, you would be wrong. Boys have just as many body issues and develop their own battles with self hate. I am the mother of 3 boys. I watched my eldest struggle with concerns about his weight and the fear of being fat. Some of it was peer pressure, but some he learned from me by hearing me say hurtful things about myself based only on my appearance.  Let's strive to teach our children to be healthy in body, mind and soul by example. Teach them tolerance, acceptance and self respect.  Teach them self esteem. Have a healthy view of yourself, have a sense of self worth, have a positive outlook, feel satisfied about yourself (most of the time) and set realistic obtainable goals. Be the person now you would want your kids to grow up to be.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post! Such a valuable lesson for us to learn.

    ReplyDelete