Sunday 29 April 2012

My love/hate affair with SHAPEWEAR!!!

I have a love/hate relationship with anything called shapewear! I strive to be comfortable and find that most shapewear is uncomfortable, binding, close to cutting of the circulation to my legs and not something I even want to attempt to put on at any point. Please do not get me started on control top panty hose. The only thing they control is my ability to properly digest food. But (there is always a but), I do admit that at times I want a slightly smoother tummy if the dress is particularly form fitting. Historically women have been trying to cinch in their waist since the 17th century. Centuries of needless suffering in an effort to achieve an idolized shape which still continues to this day. 







In the 1900's came the introduction of rubber which was believed the help reduce your size.I believe probably it was an effective tool because it increased the amount the women would sweat!


 In the 1940's designers realized that women actually needed some air circulation to prevent repeated episodes of fainting and introduced a girdle that was porous and allowed movement. Still uncomfortable and not very attractive.



In the 1970's and 80's the rage became control top panty hose. They were expensive, often rolled down and easily would get runs in them rendering them good for straining paint and possible robbing of banks.

                             The revolution for a lot of women was when Sara Blakely introduced:

 Spanx offered what women were looking for, a well made garment, that was comfortable and prevented the hated "roll down the tummy" undergarment disaster. Unfortunately I am not meant for Spanx. I find them too constricting and I do not possess enough coordination to use the little slit that allows you to pee without having to take the panties down. And to take them down requires more effort and time then I have in a tiny little bathroom cubicle. The lines to the toilet are long enough without having to wait for me to grunt, groan and attempt to pull up the "high waisted power panty". More often then not I surrender and shove them into my purse.

My last attempt at shapewear was successful for me. I found the smooth and chic comfort brief  fromCity Chic.

 I find that it holds me in where I need to be held, allows me to pull them down as needed and better yet, pull them back up without losing my dignity. I am sure you have had similar experiences and I would love to hear from you! Please share your stories or tips where to find great shapewear!



No comments:

Post a Comment